Case Studies: Positioning and Branding
CASE STUDY: Corporate and Product Launch
A fiber optic start-up company was ready to come out of stealth mode and introduce its first product. Staffed primarily by engineers, the company had no brand identity, no clear messaging and no marketing tools. The challenge was to launch the company at the industry’s leading tradeshow in nine weeks.
As the interim CMO, Volny Consulting set up an on-site office. Working hand-in-hand with the senior executive team, we:
- Evaluated how to position the company in the industry, developed a targeted brand strategy and designed the corporate identity.
- Crafted differentiated and clear corporate and product-level messaging.
- Wrote the content and managed the design of all marketing tools: collateral, the website, a multimedia presentation, and high-end PowerPoint analyst and product presentations.
- Planned and managed all the launch activities, including:
- Advisor to CEO, then part-time VP Business Development, VP Market Development, and currently VP Strategic Initiatives: PowerTrunk Inc/Teltronic.
- Interim CMO/VP Marketing/project: TrueSource (now Arriba), CVM Solutions, Pannaway Technologies (now Enablence), LaserSharp, Scalable Displays, Micro Communications Inc., RYMSA, MicrOptix, Soundbite, Talkhouse, Authentidate, XyEnterprise.
- Prospecting/business development services: CGI, Aravo, ICT Group, SDL, Cimage (now McLaren), RYMSA Wireless, MapleWorks, ExpressIt, RYMSA Space, Apollo.
The launch exceeded our customer’s expectations as it resulted in significant and positive visibility for the company, clearly establishing it as a competitor to watch.
Differentiated Value Proposition
After evaluating market trends and competition, we redefined a software company’s positioning and value proposition to increase its competitiveness with its target markets.
Effective Sales Tools
After validating the value proposition with customers, we created collateral, PowerPoint, and multimedia presentations that enhanced salespeople’s ability to position the company’s products.